Belgian shipping company Exmar, which chartered a regasification barge to the Netherlands and sold a floating LNG production vessel to Italy’s Eni for deployment offshore the Republic of Congo, is completing its take-over by Saverex NV, the holding company of the family of Exmar Executive Chairman Nicolas Saverys and additionally reported solid third-quarter earnings.
“The Congo LNG project is entering a new phase with ENI’s ‘Tango FLNG’ and Exmar’s ‘Excalibur’ heading for Congo for installation and start-up by December 2023,” Exmar stated.
The Antwerp, Belgium-based shipping and infrastructure company reported third-quarter revenues of $345.4 million, up from $95.6M in the same three months of 2022.
Exmar said adjusted gross earnings amounted to $140.5M compared with $52.6M in the prior-year quarter.
Eemshaven LNG
“The increase in revenue in the first nine months of 2023 versus 2022 reflects the full impact of the employment of the FSRU ‘Eemshaven LNG’ and the LNG carrier ‘Excalibur’ as well as the engineering, procurement and conversion works for the Congo LNG project with Eni,” Exmar explained.
The company pointed out that September 2022 gross earnings (EBITDA) were positively impacted by a $315.6M gain on the sale of “Tango FLNG” to Eni.
Exmar noted that on October 21 Eni, Dry Docks World Dubai and Exmar celebrated the “sail away” of the “Tango FLNG” and Excalibur floating storage unit (FSU) vessels from Dubai to Congo for use in Eni’s LNG project.
“Exmar with its expertise in LNG infrastructure and serving as the engineering, procurement and conversion contractor for this project, has designed the mooring system (Exmar Offshore Company) and performed the refurbishments on both vessels at Dry Docks World yard in Dubai,” the company explained.
The LNG carrier “Excalibur” is on hire to Eni Congo for use as the FSU in the Congo LNG project.
The FSRU “Eemshaven LNG” is on charter to a unit of Dutch utility Gasunie called the EemsEnergyTerminal BV.
“The FSRU has been running steadily at lower capacity during summer time and is now scaling up for the winter season,” Exmar stated.
Shipping earnings
Exmar added that shipping division revenues rose to $110.6M versus $108.7M in the same quarter last year.
In its shipping division, Exmar retains an extensive fleet including three Very Large Gas Carriers, 17 mid-sized liquefied petroleum gas carriers, two newbuilds and 10 pressurised carriers.
Exmar said that Time Charter Equivalent Rates for Midsized vessels rose to $25,656 per day from $23,916 per day.
The VLGC TCE rates increased to $42,229 per from $39,091 a day and rates for pressurised tankers of 5,000 cubic metres capacity rose to $9,097 per day from $8,530 per day.
The company also made an investment in the drilling sector with Vantage Drilling International, buying a stake of 11.5 percent.
“Vantage is a player in offshore oil and natural gas well drilling services, with a fleet comprising of two ultra-deep-water drill ships and two premium jack-up rigs, listed on the US OTC market under VTDRF,” Exmar said.
“This strategic investment is driven by promising value due to continued under-investment in the offshore drilling market. After over two decades, Exmar re-enters the drilling sector, further expanding its role in the energy value chain,” the company added.
On the takeover bid, Exmar said that the reopening of the acceptance period of the voluntary public takeover bid launched by Saverex for all shares and share option in Exmar ended on Friday, September 15.
Due to this process, Saverex holds a total of more than 47.81 million shares in Exmar, representing 80.36 percent of the outstanding shares.
The shares in Exmar held by Nicolas Saverys (7,924 shares) and by Exmar (2.02M shares) as well as by Saverex and persons affiliated amount to over 49.83M shares, representing 83.76 percent of Exmar.
Sept 20 (LNGJ) - Belgian shipping company Exmar, which chartered a regasification barge to the Netherlands and sold a floating LNG production vessel to Italy’s Eni for deployment in Africa, is set to be taken over by Saverex NV, the holding company of the family of Exmar Executive Chairman Nicolas Saverys.
Exmar, based in Antwerp, had reopened the acceptance period to September 15 for the voluntary public takeover bid launched by Saverex for all shares and share options not already controlled by the bidder. As a result, Saverex now owns 47.81 million shares, representing 80.36 percent of Exmar. Taking into account the shares held by Chairman Saverys and Exmar itself Saverex controls 49.83M shares, representing 83.76 percent of Exmar. “The payment of the bid price for the shares (€12.10 per share and €2.48 per share option) offered during the voluntary reopening is scheduled for October 2, 2023,” said Exmar.
Exmar NV, the supplier of floating liquefied natural gas import facilities and an FLNG production unit to the Netherlands and the Republic of Congo respectively, has issued clarification to a letter sent to shareholders on the voluntary public takeover bid launched by Saverex NV for Exmar and open for acceptance until September 15.
The moves over the takeover process begun in June 2023 and involving Saverex, the holding company of the family of Exmar Executive Chairman Nicolas Saverys, came as Exmar also reported its first-half earnings.
Exmar revenues jumped to $200.2 million in the first six months of 2023 compared with $57.1M in the same period of 2022.
Proft returns
The Antwerp, Belgium-based company’s net profits amounted to $2M versus a loss of $8.5M in last year’s first half.
In regard to its latest letter to shareholders, the company said this may have “created the impression with certain shareholders that they are under an obligation to sell” their shares.
“This certainly was not the company’s intention and we, therefore, ask you to disregard this Letter and we hereby rectify that each shareholder is free to either tender or not to tender their shares to Saverex,” explained the company
“In the event shareholders have already tendered their shares in this second acceptance period, they also have the right to retract their tender,” it added.
“Certain shareholders have allegedly been approached in the name of the company, to convince or induce them to tender their shares to Saverex. The company takes the opportunity to underline that it has not taken such initiative and it would not support any such actions,” it declared.
FLNG progress
In the earnings report, Exmar, said that the “FSRU Eemshaven LNG” chartered to an affiliate of Dutch utility Gasunie has been running steadily at 300 million standard cubic feet per day of capacity.
Exmar added that progress was being made on the Congo export project involving the conventional LNG carrier “Excalibur”, which is undergoing conversion to a floating storage unit (FSU).
The “Excalibur” will be used alongside the “Tango FLNG” production vessel in a project being developed by Italian oil and gas major Eni.
Exmar retains an extensive fleet of other vessels, including three Vary Large Gas Carriers, 17 mid-sized liquefied petroleum gas carriers, two newbuilds and 10 pressurised carriers.
“The three VLGCs continue under their current employment. The VLGC market continues to perform well and prospects for the remainder of 2023 are positive,” stated Exmar.
“In the Midsize Gas Carriers (MGC) market, 2022 was an eventful year for LPG and ammonia with increased freight and higher ton-mile, while 2023 has seen a correction with reduced ammonia shipping demand, while LPG trade remained robust,” the company added.
“Owners managed to keep MGC hire rates at good levels despite recent newbuilding deliveries,” Exmar said.
July 14 (LNGJ) - Belgian shipping company Exmar, which chartered a regasification barge to the Netherlands and sold a floating LNG production vessel to Italy’s Eni for deployment in Africa, has altered share totals and schedules to progress with the takeover of Exmar by Saverex NV, the holding company of the family of Exmar Executive Chairman Nicolas Saverys.
A statement said the initial acceptance period of the voluntary and conditional public takeover bid had an initial acceptance of 77.76 percent of the outstanding shares. Saverex has, therefore, decided to waive the 95 percent acceptance threshold and was proceeding with the bid. The payment of the bid price for the shares offered during the initial acceptance period is still scheduled for July 27. Saverex has also decided voluntarily to reopen the bid from Monday 28th August until Friday15th September 2023 at 16:00 (Belgian time).