Kuwait has taken 28 LNG cargoes so far this year, 2.17 million tons on an arrival-date basis to 23 July, and every one of them loaded at Ras Laffan. The last cargo from anywhere else was the LNG Borno out of Bonny Island, which discharged at Al Zour on 31 October 2025. Nothing has berthed at the terminal since 15 July.
Crude oil and LNG shippers are waiting for more details after U.S. President Donald Trump said Washington would impose a 20% charge on all cargoes transiting the Strait of Hormuz, a move the U.N.’s International Maritime Organization said it strongly opposes as unlawful.
Five crude oil and LNG tankers have turned back from attempts to transit the Strait of Hormuz after Iranian attacks on commercial shipping in the area. As tit-for-tat attacks between the US and Iran continue, maritime authorities raised the risk of transiting Hormuz to “severe.”
Qatar is repositioning LNG carriers back into the Middle East Gulf as loadings resume and is understood to be seeking short-term charter coverage. Offtakers are counting on QatarEnergy’s promise to reinstate at least half of Ras Laffan production capacity within a month of safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz being restored.
An explosion at QatarEnergies LNG processing site at Ras Laffan killed 13 people and left 66 people injured, Qatar’s energy minister Saad al-Kaab said. The cause of the blast was not immediately clear. Authorities are investigating the incident.
No LNG carriers are at the Ras Laffan berths and no loadings under way, our vessel tracking data shows, and Sunday night's explosion and fire at the Barzan plant points to a slower return to market for the complex than its recent restart signals had implied.
Qatar could restore LNG production at unaffected Ras Laffan trains within a month after safe shipping through Hormuz resumes, sources told Reuters. Shipping and logistics are deemed the main bottlenecks, rather than plant operation.
QatarEnergy CEO Saad al-Kaabi has identified shipping logistics as the biggest hindrance to resuming LNG exports from Ras Laffan once the Strait of Hormuz reopens, underlining tight tanker availability and routing constraints may impact the recovery of one of the world’s largest LNG export terminals.
ExxonMobil has acknowledged damage to two LNG trains in Qatar was responsible for half of its 6% worldwide production outage, indicating the 3% Ras Laffan shortfall could linger on for up to five years, considering the repair timeline.
QatarEnergies is working towards restarting some LNG trains at Ras Laffan, as shipping disruptions are anticipated to ease by the end of April. If the Strait of Hormuz remains closed until July or beyond, however, analysts reckon prices at the Dutch TTF gas trading hub would need to rise to well above 2022-levels for Europe be able to refill storages.